Woodlands Estate - The Titanic Mansion
Woodlands - the beloved summer estate of Titanic survivor, Lt. Col. Arthur Peuchen - own a piece of history!
Situated along the north shore of Kempenfelt Bay near the historic hamlet of Shanty Bay, one of Ontario's most desired areas for country homes and private waterfront estates, one finds woodlands in an idyllic setting of mature forests and natural beach.
With its watchtower rising high above the trees Woodlands has long been a Lake Simcoe Landmark.
Magnificently sited on 14 treed acres with 900 feet of sweeping shoreline.
Security-gated entry along the winding drive to the spectacular 14,000 sq ft Victorian residence.
Guests are welcomed into the grand reception area soaring three stories high and drawn towards the majestic winding staircase. The gracious living room with French doors open onto a deep open verandah and panoramic views of the lawns and gardens sweeping down to the lake.
Woodlands was the beloved summer home of Lt. Col. Arthur Peuchen, who famously survived the Titanic, and was known for his fabulous parties and recreational amenities ranging from grass tennis court and golf course to horse stables and boating from the private harbour. A beautifully rendered mural in the cupola of the grand main foyer commemorates the historical significance of the estate.
An elegant estate for grand entertaining - a cherished summer home and wonderful year-round residence - Woodlands is now waiting to extend a warm and gracious welcome to new owners.
|Property Size||14 acres (can be severed)|
|Age||Built in 1867 - Beautifully restored|
|Heat/Cool||Electric Baseboard, Central Air|
Features of the Home:
- Solid brick Victorian residence - built in 1867 by the wealthy timber baron, Robert, and said to be fashioned after his family estate in Ireland
- Significant for its quality of workmanship and architectural elegance
- Meticulously restored with extensive modern and luxury updates
- High ceilings
- 14 bedrooms
- 13 bathrooms
- 10 fireplaces - Most are gas fireplaces with one wood fireplace and a woodstove in the garden room
- Grand pillared reception area soaring three stories high - the perfect stage for lavish entertaining as guests gather around the grand piano
- Original ornate molding created by master craftsmen of a by-gone era - they are a piece of art
- French doors span across the living room, dining room and summer room onto the verandah and stone terrace
- Impressive dining room with beautiful fireplace and lake views
- Custom gourmet kitchen with granite and preparatory kitchen - fantastic space for entertaining 2 to 200
- Luxurious master suite with fireplace, sitting room, ensuite and breathtaking lake views
- Billiards room
- Main floor study
- Wonderful summer room with vaulted ceiling and surrounded in glass - a favourite space for entertaining intimate groups and large parties at the bar and opening on to the stone terrace
Incredible auxiliary buildings - Centred around the traditional large brick courtyard with pillared gated entry, the 4,000 square foot space includes:
- Stable area with wide centre hall
- Converted recreation area
Waterfront and Property Features:
- One of Lake Simcoe's premier properties
- 14 acres - land your chopper here
- Tremendously beautiful 900 feet of sweeping shoreline
- One of Kempenfelt Bay's few long natural beaches, stretching along both sides of a wide peninsula
- South-facing with all day sun and panoramic views
- Stone retaining wall
- Boathouse with covered slip for boats and gorgeous guest quarters with lakeside balcony
- Two hole golf course
- Terraced lawns and beautiful formal gardens
- Forested acreage secures your private enjoyment of the estate
- Security-gated entry
- Absolutely irreplaceable property along Kempenfelt Bay's millionaire row - an exclusive area of private waterfront estates
- Only minutes to all amenities in the city of Barrie, just 50 minutes drive to Toronto and 15 minutes to the Lake Simcoe Regional Airport with capacity to handle all size of private charters